Genesis Healthcare at Orchard Park is seeking a Coordinator of Health Information/Medical Records Technician. This is a Full Time (30-32 hour/week) position.
Genesis HealthCare is one of the nation's largest skilled nursing care providers with more than 400 skilled nursing centers and assisted living residences in 28 states nationwide. Genesis also supplies rehabilitation therapy to over 1,500 healthcare providers in 46 states.
Manage patient health information by ensuring patient records remain accurate, complete, current, confidential, and are compliant with federal and state regulations, HIPAA, and GHC policies and procedures.
Ensure accurate and current diagnostic coding to assure appropriate billing first time, to minimize accounts receivable and improve cash flow
1. Maintains the Diagnosis List/Sheet in the electronic system. Performs ICD coding as trained and in consultation with Nursing/Clinical Reimbursement Coordinator (CRC) or Clinical Care Manager (CCM).
2. Creates medical record for all new admissions, as directed by Director of Nursing (DN) or designee.
3. Maintains accurate order of open records, paper and electronic
4. Performs routine audits of medical records upon admission, throughout the stay, and discharge to monitor compliance with policies regarding documentation, physician visits, timeliness, etc.
5. Maintains forms/office supplies inventory, as directed by DN or designee.
6. For centers with Medication Administration Records (MARs) and Treatment Administration Records (TARs) supplied by pharmacy, communicates with the pharmacy in reference to additions/deletions of patient MARs/TARs and other pharmacy-supplied forms.
7. Processes medical record requests
8. Maintains closed records in accordance with Company policies and procedure
9. Responds to telephone inquiries concerning medical records and may respond to correspondence, as directed by center management.
10. Schedules outside medical appointments and arranges transportation.
11. Other duties as requested
SPECIFIC EDUCATIONAL/VOCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
1.High school graduate or equivalent.
2.Experience with ICD coding preferred
3This position requires that the employee is able to read, write, speak and understand the spoken English language to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our patients and visitors at the work site when responding to their medical and physical needs.
4. Able to communicate effectively with patients, family members, staff and external requestors of medical records and/or information
5.Sufficient computer skills to perform duties
6.Verification of the TST (tuberculin skin test) and results as required by state law and in accordance with Company policy; if required, the TST will be administered at the work site
7.Successful completion of the Company training program upon hire to position