Provide genetic counseling and referral services for patients who have or are at risk for genetic counseling to include pediatric and adult patients. Consult with Health Care providers regarding highly specialized genetic information pertinent to patient management. Support the Geneticist in preparation of new cases and provide psychosocial counseling and follow-up.
- Assess patient & family needs related to Genetics consultation by triaging referrals and obtaining and interpreting family history. Assess family concerns and need for information in addition to discussing genetic testing availability.
- Provide Genetics counseling which involves discussing natural history of disorder, interpreting results of genetic testing with family, and providing recurrence risk counseling and discussing option for prenatal diagnosis. Provide psychosocial and educational needs assessment to provide crisis counseling services and referrals to other support services. Write clinic notes and documents interactions with family.
- Coordinate care by arranging for genetic testing and coordinating diagnostic & research studies. Communicate test results to families and determines need for further evaluation by Geneticist. Refer families to Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington and other community services and coordinate care provided in satellite sites. Accompany medical geneticist in circuit riding to these sites.
- Participate in activities which improve KFHPW's Genetics program by working with the medical geneticist to develop clinical indicators for quality assurance. Stay abreast of developments in the genetics field. Provide in-service training to KFHPW staff regarding inherited diseases and act as a resource to physicians and other staff regarding genetic disorders.
- Minimum two (2) years of full time experience in a genetics counselor position.
- Master's degree in genetic counseling.
License, Certification, Registration
- Licensed in the State of WA as a genetic counselor at time of hire/transfer.
- Certified with National Society of Genetic Counselors by date of hire/transfer.
- Experience with software applications including MS Office software and Web browsers.
- Knowledge of human growth and development to modify care to the age and development status of patients.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting and with various age groups.
- Experience in prenatal, pediatric and adult genetics or equivalent work experience.
Primary Location: Washington,Seattle,Capitol Hill South Building 125 16th Ave. E
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40
Workdays: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
Working Hours Start: 8:00 AM
Working Hours End: 5:00 PM
Job Schedule: Full-time
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation: Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Job Category: Rehab Services
Department: Medical Genetics
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the TimeKaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.