This position is integral for the Integrated Work Systems journey that strives for continuous improvement in operations, in capabilities, and in employee engagement. This person directs, manages and provides guidance in driving positive change in the facility, including development and up skilling of 400+ associates. The key areas of focus are safety, training and implementing the GSF defined improvement process. Ensures appropriate measurements are developed and implemented to create benchmarks and targets. Develops plans and actions to ensure goals are achieved or exceeded.
- Serving as a member of the Plant Leadership Team to collaboratively set strategies, masterplan activities, employee engagement activities, loss elimination ideas, and results delivery.
- Developing the cultural vision for the plant that provides the foundation for the IWS journey.
- Continually expanding and enhancing knowledge levels of Integrated Work Systems, lean manufacturing, Total Productive Maintenance, and industry “best in class” manufacturing methodologies and operations practices to develop a culture of continuous improvement – will need to stay about 12 months ahead of the plant in personal knowledge.
- Leading the plant leadership team in the integration of the appropriate actions to support the cultural vision and to support the delivery of the Compelling Business Need. Be the change agent within the plant leadership team that brings a focus to ‘how’ results are delivered and sustained (“IWS is the work”).
- Building capability of the site leaders to implement IWS systems, tools, methodologies, capabilities, and standards.
- Ensuring CI tools and methodologies are used to drive all site result opportunities and to ensure all results are being sustained or improved per the site masterplan – own “how” breakthrough performance is achieved at the plant level.
- Responsible for the phased implementation of IWS at the plant & benchmarking with other plants in the division to drive best practices & standard work.
- Leading the Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) process including maintaining measurement standards, coaching on improvement plans and strategies, training, coaching, and monthly reporting.
- Establishing and maintaining plant KPI’s and visual plant tools.
- Productivity/quality standards: accuracy, timeliness, thoroughness
- Training budget and related expenses
- Productivity/quality standards: return to work
- Regulatory compliance and training (GMP, HACCP, OSHA)
- Teamwork within the department and across departments
- Project/assignment standards
- Customer satisfaction
- Employee development to meet GSF’s projected near- and mid-term objectives
Bachelor’s degree in engineering preferred from an accredited college or university.
5 or more years of relevant work experience
Experience / working knowledge of continuous improvement methodologies – TPM, lean manufacturing, IWS, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of (B/basic; J/journey; E/expert):
- Project management concepts and techniques (J)
- Regulatory policies and procedures (J)
- Budgetary concepts and procedures (J)
- PC word processing/spreadsheet/presentation/database software (J)
- Continuous Improvement concepts and processes (E)
Skill and ability to:
- Strategically influence all levels of the organization.
- Serve as a team member, facilitator and/or leader as the team role warrants
- Manage and motivate employees in a team-based environment
- Prepare a variety of comprehensive administrative and technical documents and reports
- Prepare and deliver presentations to a variety of customers
- Travel via airplane and drive an automobile
- Work effectively in a general business environment, with a focus on high levels of quality and customer service
- Act in accordance with GSF’s Values and Creed
Ability to teach, coach, & develop others – both on the plant floor & on the plant leadership team
Long term planning (strategic) with intermediate actions along the way (tactical)
Process-driven, loss-focused, results-oriented approach
Problem solving skill-set (by degree – engineering or by experience)
Proven leadership skills
Collaboration – ability to partner with & influence others