The Maps and Locations team is part of the geospatial backbone that drives the ever-expanding Amazon Last Mile delivery business. We are responsible for providing the most accurate geographic and physical location data associated with addresses or any physical location to enable the delivery of Amazon products and services between vendors and customers. The systems you will work on are in the forefront of cutting edge Geospatial technologies requiring innovative solutions to solve complex algorithmic challenges. We are looking for a Software Development Engineer with exceptional technical skills and a passion for delivering great software to join our team.
The Geotech team touches all aspects of the logistics workflow from interacting with the customer to help identify their address on a map, work with our routing teams to optimize driver routes, pinpoint to our drivers to the right geolocation to make the delivery, guide our drivers through the delivery execution providing real-world navigation context (parking locations, mailrooms, road entry), leverage geospatial data to map new addresses and learn from real world geospatial tracking data optimize our algorithms. You will work with teams across Last Mile and Amazon to help them navigate the world. All of this will require you to collaborate with research scientists, senior engineers and managers in a fast paced and growing environment, where ideas are prototyped, tested, and implemented.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
· 6+ years’ experience in a related field
· Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
· Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
· Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
· Demonstrated proficiency with Java, C++, or equivalent object-oriented programming language.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to work in a team environment.
· High sense of ownership, self-motivation, and desire to delight customers
· Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to develop all aspects of their engineering skill sets.
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Experience establishing metrics for measurement of engineering and operational excellence.
· Experience in optimization algorithms development (e.g, supply chain optimization, operations research, network design, machine learning, etc.) and/or the transportation domain
· Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
· Ability to tackle big, challenging problems and resolve ambiguity in the customer's favor.
· Experience defining system architectures and designs, exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs, and making data-driven decisions.
· Ability to drive consensus within a team and influence outcomes in significant technical decision-making.
· Experience building highly available systems and operating 24x7 services
· Ability to excel in a fast-paced, startup-like environment
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation